Artist Statement


First, I thought I wanted to be a nurse but then I finished binging Grey’s Anatomy. Next, I thought I wanted to be a history major but then I finished binging Outlander. I thought I might be a great Assistant to the Regional Manager but then I finished binging The Office. It wasn’t until I found myself considering a life as an irresponsible alcoholic while binging Shameless that I finally realized my real passion was not the characters on the screen but tv itself.

After spending hours and hours of my life binge watching tv shows to avoid responsibilities, it made me realize the impact and influence tv can have on a person. We wake up with it, we eat with it, we go to bed with it. The thoughts and ideas that the characters on these tv shows spread stick with you as you go through your day. I frequently find myself thinking, “What would Daenerys Targaryen do?” Oh, wait, she’d burn everything to the ground, so maybe not.

I get my inspiration from television.  I love the idea that you can imagine a story, spend multiple seasons developing characters that people fall in love with, and create your own little universe that people can lose themselves in, as I have done so many times. My motivation is to be able to provide people with a distraction from their everyday life. I like the idea of knowing that someone can take a break from their busy, stressful life, and watch what I create. Maybe it will help them find what their passion is, too.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go get some tips on running my crime syndicate by binging Peaky Blinders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard